Facts About the Medical Library
The Ruth Lilly Medical Library, was established in 1908 and is the largest academic health sciences library in the state. It is the primary information resource for faculty, students and staff of the Indiana University School of Medicine.
Library Faculty and Staff
The Medical Library has 7 tenure-track library faculty, 3 non-tenure track librarians, and 9 support staff members. Librarians are available for consultation on a wide range of knowledge management issues.
The current Library's 50,000 square feet of space includes tables and study areas that can seat 200 users. There are almost 200 public computer work stations for the use of our patrons. The Medical Library is conveniently located on the Medical Center campus and is easily accessible from the IU Health PeopleMover monorail line.
In 2009, the second and third floors were converted into state-of-the-art teaching facilities and study spaces which include:
• Four computer classrooms for testing and teaching, each housing 40 computers with wireless access and video projection equipment
• A team-based learning classroom
• Small group conference rooms
• Individual study carrels strategically placed on all three floors
History of Medicine
A History of Medicine special collection is housed on the third floor, a large part of which is integral to the School's Digital Library Initiative. This includes: the world's first Bioethics Digital Library and a substantial research repository. Another part of that collection includes online databases, digitized text, and images from historic volumes of publications from the Indiana State Board of Health.
Electronic Information Resources
As of 2013, the library currently subscribes to or has access to:
- 9,479 Electronic Full-Text Journals
- 13,217 Online Books
- 191 Online Databases
The medical print book and journal collection is the largest in Indiana and includes 191,853 volumes and a History of Medicine special collection of books, journals and artifacts