Virtual Private Network (VPN)
Most IU School of Medicine Library online resources require authentication. You will need an IU Username and password in order to authenticate and gain access off-campus to these resources.
Proxy Server Access (for non-VPN users):
1. Go to the Ruth Lilly Medical Library Home Page (http://library.medicine.iu.edu).
2. Select the resource you would like to access.
3. You will be presented with an Authentication page where you will enter your IU username and password.
Virtual Private Network (VPN) access
The preferred method of off-campus access is through the VPN, or Virtual Private Network. Logging in through a VPN allows your computer to be recognized as if you were on campus and can streamline the process of accessing the Library's online resources.
There are two ways to set up the VPN on your computer (you must be off-campus):
A. Download the Setup Wizard or VPN Installer by following the instructions in the IU Knowledge Base at http://kb.iu.edu/data/aygt.html
B. Manually configure your SSL VPN connection from off-campus:
- In a browser, go to: https://vpn.iu.edu/
- Enter your Network ID credentials.
- The first time you log in at that URL, the server will download and install a Java applet (Network Connect) to your workstation. If you are prompted to accept a certificate from Juniper, do so.
- The browser window will remain open after you are connected; you may close it if you wish. You don't need to click Start next to "Network Connect" in the browser window. You should be able to see a "Network Connect" window with information about your VPN connection.
- To log out, click Sign Out in the "Network Connect" window or in the browser window, if you have left it open.
For help with the installation, call the University Computing Services Help Desk at 274-4357.
Remote Access to Information for IUSM Residents at area hospitals: pdf
* Bloomington CME Faculty and students have access to IU Bloomington resources and Ruth Lilly Medical Library resources.
* Faculty and students at all other CME locations have access to local campus resources, Ruth Lilly Medical Library resources, and IUPUI resources (University Library, Dental Library, Law Library)
Remote access troubleshooting:
|Clarian account questions?||
|Unsure if you have an IU Username?|
|Receive errors when logging in due to invalid Username or password - unable to authenticate?|
|Receiving error messages related to "Cookies"?||
|General network access & email questions?|
|Domain Name is required when logging into a resource?||
Please note: Some browsers will not show a special box for Domain name; if you have any trouble logging in, try putting the Domain Name in front of your ID, for example "ADS\smith" or "MHG\Jones".