Borrower Eligibility & Library Cards
- All Indiana University faculty, staff and students are eligible to check out materials at the Medical Library using their IU identification. Guest cards issued by IUPUI University Library and other Indiana University Libraries to Indiana citizens cannot be used at the Medical Library.
- Indiana Health Care Professionals are eligible to apply for a library card to borrow books. A valid Indiana University identification card, Indiana health care professional license, educational credentials in a health care field or membership in an association for health care professionals is required. By accepting a Medical Library card, the borrower is financially responsible for materials checked out on the card, and agrees to abide by the circulation policies of the Indiana University School of Medicine Library. Persons wishing to apply for a library card should check with the Circulation Desk staff.
- Lost or stolen borrowers cards should be reported to the Circulation Desk at: (317) 274-7182.
- Books are loaned for 30 days.
- 2 Renewals - Renewals can be done through the My Account feature in IUCat, in person, by phone, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Journal volumes can be loaned for 24 hours - Indiana University Faculty, Staff and Students.
- Reserve Books - Loan period varies from 2 hours to 2 weeks.
- Reference Books & Serials - Library Use Only.
- When the library is closed, books may be dropped into the Book Return Bin outside the Library door.
- Holds may be placed on books that are checked out.
- Materials needed for another user may be recalled.
- Overdue fines are 50 cents per day per item. If item(s) is not returned after 28 days, the user will be billed for the cost of each item plus a $25.00 processing fee per item.
- Users cannot checkout or renew library materials until bills and fines are settled.
- The Reserve materials overdue fine rate is $1.00 per day per item.
Textbook Purchase Policy
- Our mission is to provide access to materials to enable further study and research, not to eliminate student purchasing responsibilities of required course texts.
- The library will provide the service of placing textbooks on reserve for courses. However, due to severe budget limitations the library cannot purchase multiple copies of a textbook.
- If the department wishes to supply copies of textbooks to the library, the library will add them to the reserve shelf and return them to the department if desired.
Resources at the Circulation Desk
- Reserve materials
- Interlibrary loan books and other items held for pickup
- CD-ROMs and DVDs
- Skull models to check out
Circulation Desk Services
- Check-In & Check-Out of Materials
- Holds and Renewals assistance
- Journal and book lookups
- Reference questions answered or referred
- Assistance with photocopiers & "pay for print"
- Microsoft Windows
- Photocopy cards for sale
- Fax machine available (local calls only unless an individual account number is used)
- Electric 3-hole punch and staplers available
- DART machine available for JagTag