History of Medicine
About the Resources
- The Ruth Lilly Medical Library special collections emphasizes the practice of medicine in the 19th century Indiana and other Midwestern states.
- The collections contains approximately 1,600 book titles. Most of the titles are post-1800.
- The strength of the collection is in the serials. Approximately 400 titles are pre-1900, 210 being American imprints and 76 Midwestern American imprints.
- The collection seeks to support the study of 19th century everyday medicine and surgery.
- Other resources include representative medical instruments and a file index to Indiana medical obituaries.
- The historical collection of medical books and journals is a state resource
- Educational outreach programs publicize it throughout the state.
- Medical historical reference services available to all via the Ask a Question reference services
- Consultation available for non-profit Indiana groups concerning medical book, instruments, etc.
- Speaker and presentations available by arrangement
Resources from Indiana University (IU) and the Ruth Lilly Medical Library (RLML)
- Ruth Lilly Medical Library Historical and Biographical Databases (Featuring the 19th-20th Century Indiana Physicians Biographical Database and the Union Civil War Surgeons Database)
- Bibliography of General History of Medicine & Reference Works & Bibliography of American History of Medicine & Related Fields - PDF
- RLML Special Collections Online Exhibits Galleries
- Changing the Face of Medicine (Women in Medicine)
- John Shaw Billings History of Medicine Society, Inc.
- Indiana University School of Medicine History
- The Many Histories of the Indiana University School of Medicine Presentation by Kevin Grau (Video)
- IUSM MD Graduates by Year and Gender
- IUSM Entering Class Statistics - 1960 to 2011
- Digital Collections of IUPUI University Library (Special Collections & Archives/Program of Digital Scholarship)
- One Century of German Influence on Indiana Medicine 1816-1916 by Robert A. McDougal, M.D. - PDF
- Dr. Leo J. McCarthy and the History of Transfusion Medicine
Monday-Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Special Hours may be scheduled.