History of Medicine
About the Resources
- The Ruth Lilly Medical Library special collections emphasizes the practice of medicine in the 19th century Indiana and other Midwestern states.
- The collections books range from the 15th Century to the 20th Century and beyond.
- The collection numbers 1,600+ titles with most of the titles from post-1800.
- The strength of the collection is in the serials. Approximately 400 titles are pre-1900, 210 being American imprints and 76 Midwestern American imprints.
- The collection seeks to support the study of 19th and 20th centuries everyday medicine and surgery.
- Other resources include representative medical instruments and a file index to Indiana medical obituaries.
- The historical collection of medical books and journals is a state resource
- Educational outreach programs publicize it throughout the state.
- Medical historical reference services available to all via the Ask a Question reference services
- Physician history researched and genealogical consultations available.
- Consultation available for non-profit Indiana groups concerning medical book, instruments, etc.
Resources from Ruth Lilly Medical Library (RLML)
- Ruth Lilly Medical Library Historical and Biographical Databases (Featuring the 19th-20th Century Indiana Physicians Biographical Database and the Union Civil War Surgeons Database)
- RLML Special Collections Online Exhibits Galleries
- John Shaw Billings History of Medicine Society
- Dr. Leo J. McCarthy and the History of Transfusion Medicine
Monday-Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Special Hours may be scheduled.